Saturday, August 13, 2011

Cleaning, Counting, Cavities and Tears

Today I took Sophie to the dentist for the first time.  I was trying to get everyone in before school started and today was the day.   Sophie does great at the Doctor.  She never cries even when they give her a shot or prick her finger.  I was expecting the same brave little girl at the dentist but instead got a sobbing, terrified baby with 3 cavities..
 Madison and Kaitlin read her books, keeping her busy until her appointment.
 Sophie was fine when she was taken back into the room.  The dental assistant was so sweet and explained everything to her.

 She seemed fine.  Taking it all in.
 Then in walked Bob.  She was okay till he put on his gloves, glasses and mask.  She broke down sobbing.  She was so scared.  There are no pictures of this because I laid down in the chair while she laid on top of me.  Even though she was afraid, she laid there and allowed me to comfort her and love her through her fear.   Once she saw that Bob wasn't going to hurt her, she stopped crying and actually liked having her teeth counted and cleaned.
I knew that we were going to have issues with her teeth but I wasn't sure what they would be.  Two of her teeth are fused together, she has several cavities, one of which caused her front tooth to chip off.  The good news is that she got her first fluoride treatment and she isn't afraid anymore so getting the cavities filled shouldn't be too traumatic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment