Monday, February 21, 2011

The blue zheesh


This is the Blue Zheesh. It is what some children refer to as a "lovey".  When Sophie came to us in China, she would comfort herself by slipping her index finger into her sleeve and rubbing it against her lips.  This was her method of soothing until summer came and I stopped putting onesies under her clothes.  I guess she loved how they felt because she would go and get them, hand them too me and start pulling at her clothes.  After a few days of me telling her it was too hot and I guess the fact that she no longer had long sleeves to use,  she began using a onesie for her comforting.   It always has to be this particular, long sleeved, trimmed in green thread onesie.  There are two others, one trimmed in yellow, the other in orange.  I got them as a set at one of my showers.  But they will not do.  It must be this particular one.   I get the "blue" because at the time she named it, she was calling all things green... blue. She was just learning her colors.   The zheesh part, we have no idea.  I would say, "lovey?" she would say "zheesh".  It could be something Chinese but we have no way of knowing.

It goes everywhere with us.  It is immediately asked for the minute the car is put into reverse.  It was lost at Seneca Park once and I drove all the way back to find it.  We have turned the car around several times and gone back home because the zheesh was forgotten and the tears were more than Daddy could take.  
Lately, Sophie has been tucking the beloved onesie into her pants. This way she can have her hands free to play yet always have it within reach if a sudden urge to comfort comes over her.


No comments:

Post a Comment