Saturday, December 11, 2010

A clueless mommy- a first performance

 Sophie had her first dance performance today.  The studio where she takes lessons has the girls perform their routines at assisted living homes for the elderly patients during Christmas.  I thought this was a very sweet gesture and was excited for the date to come till I got the letter on what the girls needed for their performance.  Costumes-check....white tights and ballet shoes-check.....pink blush and lipstick-check.....hair pulled up in the front with curls in the back.......huh!!!????  Did they notice that my daughter is of Asian decent?  Are they aware that Sophie has shiny, straight as a poker, slick hair?  Do they know that this mommy is clueless how to do "girl hair"?  When I asked how to do this they suggested Dipity Doo and sponge curlers.  My hair dresser suggested a hair piece and my friend Becky suggested prayer.
Somehow this hair needs to become curly so I headed to Walgreens to see what I could find.  After almost having an anxiety attack on aisle 3 from too many choices, I settled on these products and added in the prayer.

I curled her hair with the curling iron and while the hair was still hot I rolled it on the sponged curlers.  After it cooled, I uncurled the hair and sprayed it with extra hold hairspray.  It worked!  We actually ended up with beautiful curly hair and off we headed to the nursing home.


On the way my little Shirley Temple fell sound asleep because the performance was right at nap time.

 Here Sophie is getting in line to go on stage.


Everyone is in their positions, let the dancing begin!
Sophie did wonderful.  She wasn't the least bit shy.  All the girls did great.  These girls range in age from 2 1/2-3 years old.  No one cried, got stage fright or froze.  They did so much better than when they practice during class.  I guess they just needed an audience a beautiful costume and some curls.

1 comment: